Competitions: score a Blu-Ray of Swiss Army Man!
Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert’s wonderfully odball Swiss Army Man comes to DVD and Blu-Ray on April 10th from Lionsgate. One of the more delightfully weird films of recent years it sees Paul Dano as a desperate, shipwrecked man who finds a corpse (played by Harry Potter’s Daniel Radcliffe) on the shore. The emotionally damaged Hank dubs him Manny, and he finds the corpse has a number of uses, not the least of which is company for him, and the more time he spends with Manny the more a bond develops, until it seems like Manny may even be responding, despite being a waterlogged cadaver. Is it real, is it a projection of Hank’s own mental states and needs? Does it matter when it gives us such an odd yet touchingly emotional film?
From the description: “Bursting with limitless creativity, Swiss Army Man goes from the absurd to the emotional to the whimsical to the profound and back again. Hank (Paul Dano, There Will Be Blood) is stranded on a deserted island, having given up all hope of ever making it home again. Everything changes when a corpse named Manny (Daniel Radcliffe, Harry Potter) washes up on shore; the two become fast friends, and ultimately go on an epic adventure that will bring Hank back to the woman of his dreams.
Swiss Army Man creates a world like no other—a place of pure fantastical imagination, brimming with magical realism yet featuring two characters whose dreams and fears are entirely relatable. Dano and Radcliffe both fully commit to their directors’ audacious vision, and their work is exceptional, finding the perfect balance of humour and heart that drives the whole film. A celebration of all the wonders cinema has to offer.”
I loved this film and strongly suspect it’s going to be one of those movies that becomes something of a cult in years to come (also nice to see Radcliffe playing such an unusual role). We have a couple of copies on Blu-Ray courtesy of Lionsgate, up for grabs. To be in with a chance of winning these goodies, simply email firstname.lastname@example.org (subject: Swiss Army Man) by midnight on Sunday 23rd of April with your contact details and the answer to the following question: Paul Dano previously appeared in what Daniel Day Lewis film?:
A) There Will Be Blood
B) There Will Be Mud
C) There Will Be Books
TERMS & CONDITIONS
- The winner will be drawn at random from all entries, and only they will be contacted personally. Prize must be taken as stated and cannot be deferred. There will be no cash alternatives.
- Forbidden Planet International do not accept any responsibility for late or lost entries due to the Internet or email problems. Proof of sending is not proof of receipt. Entrants must supply full details as required on the competition page, and comply with all rules to be eligible for the prizes.
- No responsibility is accepted for ineligible entries or entries made fraudulently.
- Unless otherwise stated, the Competition is not open to employees of: (a) the Company; and (b) any third party appointed by the Company to organise and/or manage the Competition; and (c) the Competition sponsor(s).
- This competition is promoted by Forbidden Planet International. Forbidden Planet International’s decision is final in every situation and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Forbidden Planet International reserves the right to cancel the competition at any stage, if deemed necessary in its opinion, and if circumstances arise outside of its control.
- Entrants will be deemed to have accepted these rules and to agree to be bound by them when entering this competition.